Sunday, July 25, 2010

New Bread Recipe

A couple of weeks ago we had the opportunity to watch:
Homestead Blessings: The Art of Bread Making
on http://www.thehomeschoolchannel.tv/

My daughter and I tried their recipe and really like it (even though, to our taste, it needed more salt and sweetness).

So, today, I did just that. I made another loaf of their wonderful bread, tweaking the recipe by adding more salt and more sweetness. YUMMY!!!

Here is The West Ladies original Bread Recipe:

In a bowl:
2 1/2 C. Warm Water

Add:
2 C. Flour
Stir until well mixed.

Add:
1 t. Salt
1/2 C. Oil
1/2 C. Honey
Mix well.

Add:
1 T. Yeast
and mix well.

Add:
1-3 C. Flour...1 C. at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Then, knead in thta bowl til you have a soft dough.
Now place a small amount of oil in the bottom of the bowl. Leave dough in the bowl and let rise til double.

Now, punch the dough down and knead alittle on a lightly floured surface.
Place dough into 2 greased bread pans. Poke holes with a fork. Cover and let rise.
Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi! I'm so glad you found my blog finally. :) This is very much like the recipe I use, but mine uses butter instead of oil and 1/3 cup of honey, and I like that taste so much better.

Michelle said...

Oops, mine uses 1/4 cup butter, sorry. But either way, I bet the butter in any amount would add yumminess. :)

Michele said...

I have that video. I just haven't gotten around to making bread yet. We've been busy making things that aren't so good for us. LOL (that's going to change soon, I can't afford all the sweetness - even if I do send a bit to work with daddy.) I read your other post about tweaking it more...I'll be back when we do try it to compare notes!

~Michele
http://mountaineerheritage.wordpress.com/